Pulse Oximeter Readings

Scotty, we need more power!

Carrying on from my previous post, I mentioned that Rob had let me borrow a .NET Gadgeteer pulse oximeter for a project that I am working on. When I got it all connected up and the drivers installed, I realised that I was getting what I am going to call “Ghost Readings”.

This was because the probe thought that it was attached even though it wasn’t and it would get readings of about 140 heart rate but the signal would be low. I then realised it was because there wasn’t enough power going through my USB to power the probe as well as the LCD screen (insert picture of sad face here). I was only really using the LCD for debug purposes so I disconnected it and I got it all working properly! The above screen cap is of a reading at a sort of steady level. I intend to do a little exercise and get some more readings.

Author James Croft

James is a senior software developer for Black Marble and Microsoft MVP in Windows Development with over 6 years of experience developing applications for the Windows platform. James’s passion for learning new technologies gives him the opportunities to expose them to the wider community through tutorials, lessons learned and best practices through his online blog site, personal YouTube channel, and local communities through talks at events, schools and universities.

More posts by James Croft

Leave a comment